Monday, July 23, 2012

tracing, holes, self-righteousness, & superpowers (crimes of passion)

tracing, holes, self-righteousness, & superpowers (crimes of passion)

itracing

it was a dream that nested in me like memory

you strip the bed of everything
except a new white sheet

you lay me down on my back
like a cadaver or patient

you prick the ends of your fingers
to trace me in your blood

but you cannot show me with an outline
that is only where i lie

because when you ask me to rise and leave
all that is left is not me

ii. holes

i lost you to the black hole of normal
that swallows everything except me

and i am trapped in the gravitational pull
of the wormhole that ties us always together

iii. self-righteousness

self-righteousness isn’t attractive
it doesn’t unzip your dress
falling to the floor
or buckle your knees

knowing it all is no aphrodisiac
it is cold dead certainty
rendering yesterday tomorrow
as if you do not matter

iv. superpowers

i cannot climb walls or fly
and my body doesn’t transform
behind mask, tights, and a cape

my superpowers are mundane
and draining as Kryptonite
but only for the ones i love

i have superpowers that destroy
with the exhausting burden of love
this stone of you were not enough

it is a bizarre thing to have the gift
of inverting a heart into diamond
shedding love like a snake skin

i leave bruises that never heal
and lie on the skin like ghosts
or tattoos removed by lasers


how far must we pull back to recognize this crater?

and how does failure look curled and bleeding
on the pavement before the outline can be drawn
and the yellow tape strung to signal DO NOT CROSS?

No comments:

Post a Comment