Sunday, December 21, 2014

we all fail (you coming new to us)

we all fail (you coming new to us)


we all fail
like dying that’s what humans do

of course i have failed you
and you and you

and now you newly born
into our congregation of humans

despite our best efforts
we will fail you too

despite my best intentions
i will fail you too

but this is not about that
this is about the promise you

only a handful of months with us
you appear in my dream

i do not know most of the people there
but suddenly and for the very first time

you begin to talk and then walk across the room
as if those are the most natural things possible

and that is what this is about
you coming new to us

you filling our chests near to exploding
with all the possible and all to come

you make us believe in who we can be
you make us want to be better people

you make me believe in who i can be
you make me want to be a better person

it is Friday evening and i ignore friends
to sit on the couch you sleeping on my chest

we all fail
like dying that’s what humans do

but living in the precious moment
that’s what you offer me in soft breaths

as we beg you to say those first words
as we coax you to crawl across the blanket
as we cheer you standing to walk alone

i imagine you reading quietly
playing with words as children do

you lying on my chest us heart to heart
you make me want to be a better person

there us together silent and still
your warm weight lifting us beyond dreams

No comments:

Post a Comment